Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Miley Cyrus: "I Don't Give A Shit. I'm Not Disney"

Miley Cyrus has been under fire for her many stage performances over the past year, but most recently, she was called out for exploiting black dancers and little people at her Jingle Ball performance, according to THR.

Her response? "I don’t give a shit. I'm not Disney."

Cyrus' latest backlash is outlined in the cover story of W's March issue, written by Ronan Farrow. The Guardian called her use of twerking black dancers "a minstrel show," while a Jezebel column accused the Bangerz singer of "accessorizing with black people," and little person Hollis Jane described her appearance in Cyrus' VMA performance as "one of the most degrading things -- I was being looked at as a prop, as something less than human." Still, some of Cyrus' dancers note in the profile that "we're just having fun ... it's not degrading," and that "Miley treats me with the utmost respect."

The singer herself says that she doesn't need to represent every ethnicity in a certain way, as her former employer does. "I'm not Disney, where they have, like, an Asian girl, a black girl and a white girl to be politically correct, and, like, everyone has bright-colored T-shirts. You know, it's like, I'm not making any kind of statement."

Cyrus doesn't want to join in the national conversation about the legalization of marijuana, but does have a concern on the matter. "I love weed," she told Farrow. "I just love getting stoned ... I just want it to be back to where it's, like, organic, good weed."

Read More Now

No comments:

Post a Comment