Friday, June 28, 2013

R.I.P. Denver Talker Rick Barber Passes At 67.

Rick Barber
Longtime Denver radio talk show host Rick Barber passed away early this morning in Denver following complications as a result of ALS, or Lou Gehrig's disease. 

Barber was 67, according to the KOA website.

The U.S. Army veteran began his radio work in the 1960s, fulfilling a long-time passion for radio that began as a teenager in Rhode Island.  Barber first came to Colorado and KWGN in early 1970s with positions to follow at KWBZ and KDEN.  Following stints in Wyoming and New Mexico, Barber came back to Denver in 1982 and took a seat in the overnight chair on KOA.  Rick also did television in the Denver market, as well.

 The Rick Barber Show" aired for an unprecedented thirty years.  Rick's final show on KOA 850 AM was in early 2012.

 "He was a facilitator of topics and education - that's what his show was all about.  He always considered his show a radio magazine, and not just a talk show.  Dad loved his listeners," said son Ian Barber.

 In his final interview, Rick Barber talked about his time on the air.

 "My footprint should be somebody who made you laugh, made you feel comfortable, made you feel good. That's how I want to be remembered.  I want them [the audience] to think of me as the guy who did it my way.  Including going out: my way. "

 Funeral services are pending.

 In lieu of flowers and to show your support, the family asks that contributions be sent in Rick's name and memory to the ALS Association, Rocky Mountain chapter.

1 comment:

  1. Rick made me laugh....made me feel. I learned so much from that man. I miss him everynight. He was and always will be the best in talk radio. Rest in peace my dear dear friend.

    ReplyDelete